URL redirect, how to create
WARNING Never create a redirect for domain.com to www.domain.com or from domain.com to domain.com/index.something. Doing either will cause an infinite loop. If you need to control the www and index page, you must use mod_rewrite by adding .htaccess code.
How to redirect a URL:
- Login to cPanel and click the Redirects icon.
- Leave the setting as 301 redirect, as this is preferred by search engines.
- Select the appropriate domain name from the drop-down.
- In the subsequent blank, enter an optional path and file name; this exact name must be typed to trigger the redirect.
- In the large blank, enter the full URL for the redirect target; include http:// or https:// (e.g. http://thedct.com)
- Leave the other settings as they are, unless you know why you want to change them.
- Click the Add button and you are done.
Congratulations, when someone types the exact name you specified, they will be redirected to the target site you specified.